Laser Hair Removal
- Permanent removal of unwanted hair
WHAT IS LASER HAIR REMOVAL?
Laser hair removal is the process of removing unwanted hair on the body using specific wavelengths of light energy to destroy the hair follicle.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
- A fast and easy treatment that prevents future hair growth in the treated area for good.
- Can be performed on all areas of the body including the face, underarms, arms, chest, back, legs, bikini and brazilian.
- Laser hair removal does not damage the skin's surface, so no more ingrown hairs!
- Lasers can selectively target dark, course hairs while leaving surrounding areas untouched.
WHAT ARE THE RISKS?
There are some mild side effects that can occur with laser hair removal:
- Swelling and redness
- A burning sensation similar to sunburn, lasting for around 30 – 60 minutes after the treatment
Very rarely, if not performed by trained professionals, hyper or hypo pigmentation may occur (a long term darkening or lightening of the skin in the treated area). The Clinic employs only doctors and nurses to ensure a superior quality of care for all our clients.
Due to the laser technology, this treatment is not recommended during pregnancy.
HOW MANY TREATMENTS WILL I NEED?
Treatment plans for laser hair removal will vary because each hair is at a different stage in the growth cycle. Best results come from 4-6 sessions, 4-6 weeks apart.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING MY TREATMENT?
Firstly, you'll speak to one of our trained nurses about your background and medical history. We will also ensure that laser hair removal will suit your skin type.
At your laser hair removal appointment:
You will wear protective glasses to shield your eyes from the laser. Using a handpiece, our nurse will apply the laser machine, one pulse at a time, over the treated area in a systematic manner. The procedure takes 10-60 minutes in total, depending on the size of the area to be treated.
IS IT PAINFUL?
The sensation of laser hair removal is likened to that of having a rubber band snapped against your skin. We use a Candela GentleLASE machine, which fires a spray of cryogen (cooling agent) immediately prior to the laser firing to offset heat in the treated area.
WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT AFTER MY TREATMENT?
Some redness and swelling might persist for up to two days after your treatment.
Over the next few weeks, your treated hair will fall out. It may appear as if the hair is growing but it is simply the dead hair being expelled from the follicle.
WHAT PRECAUTIONS SHOULD I TAKE AFTER PRE AND POST TREATMENT?
- Please ensure your desired treatment area is freshly shaved prior to your appointment
- Do not wax, pluck, bleach or use depilatory creams prior to treatment to ensure the hair is at the skin's surface
- No sunbathing for 4 weeks prior to treatment. It is also preferable that you do not sunbathe throughout the course of your treatments, as this makes your skin more susceptible to irritation or burn.
There is no downtime required for laser hair removal and you can resume normal activities immediately. However you should avoid the following for 24 hours:
- Strenuous exercise
- Consumption of alcohol
- Hot showers or spa baths
It is also recommended to avoid the following for two weeks:
- Extended exposure to sun or uv light
- Extended exposure to heat or freezing temperatures
Exposure to any of the above may cause temporary redness, swelling, and/or itching at the treatment sites. The use of a cool compress can aid in alleviating any discomfort.
We always recommend the use of sunscreen to prevent sun damage to the skin. Sunscreen with SPF 30 or above should be used daily. If you are under the sun for prolonged periods of time, sunscreen needs to be reapplied at least once every two hours.