Hyperhidrosis is the condition of excessive sweating. At The Clinic, our doctors and nurses can offer a range of highly effective, evidence-based, state-of-the-art treatments to significantly reduce excessive sweating.
WHAT IS HYPERHIDROSIS TREATMENT?
The aim of the hyperhidrosis treatment is to reduce or completely prevent sweating from a particular area, most commonly, the underarms.
There are several types of hyperhidrosis treatment that our doctors recommend at The Clinic, including:
- Topical prescription strength aluminum chloride (anti-perspirants)
- Hyperhidrosis medications; these are best suited if you sweat in large or multiple areas
- Anti-wrinkle injections, which produce stable, long term results if you’re suffering with hyperhidrosis.
Our doctors will first need to rule out any underlying causes for your hyperhidrosis and may recommend that you visit your GP. If there is an underlying cause, it’s probable that you have 'secondary' hyperhidrosis. Infections, endocrine, neurological, cardiovascular and respiratory disorders, anxiety and stress can all cause hyperhidrosis and it is vital that these conditions are treated at their root before we alleviate the symptoms.
Our doctors recommend anti-wrinkle injections as the most effective treatment for primary hyperhidrosis.
HOW ARE ANTI-WRINKLE INJECTIONS FOR HYPERHIDROSIS DIFFERENT?
Anti-wrinkle injections are different to standard sweat reduction methods, and are our preferred treatment for hyperhidrosis because:
- Treatments are very long lasting (approximately 9-12 months)
- There is little reduction of effect over the period
- The treatment method is highly effective, even across clients with radically different body compositions
HOW DOES IT WORK?
The anti-wrinkle injections used for hyperhidrosis work by blocking the message from the brain to the sweat glands that instructs them to produce sweat. The blocking effect, while long lasting, is not permanent and your body will break down the substance after a period of time.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
The major benefit to having anti-wrinkle injections, as described by many of our clients, is the feeling of freedom!
- Ability to resume normal activities (almost) immediately
- Complete freedom from excessive sweating without maintenance activities (i.e, regular topical substance application, etc)
- Long-lasting effects
WHAT ARE THE RISKS?
There are minor and temporary risks associated with using anti-wrinkle injections for hyperhidrosis, including:
- Numbness and tingling in the treated area
- Swelling and bruising
- A temporary headache
- Temporary feelings of nausea
Some patients also experience slightly more serious side effects. These may occur in 1 out of 200 procedures. These may include:
- An allergic reaction to the substance
- Flu-like symptoms, which may last more than a day
In some very rare cases the anti-wrinkle treatment will fail to cure hyperhidrosis. There are alternative treatments available if this occurs.
HOW MANY TREATMENTS WILL I NEED?
You'll need a single treatment every 6-12 months, with most patients averaging 8 months between visits.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING MY TREATMENT?
You'll speak with the doctor about your background, medical history and extent of your hyperhidrosis at your initial consultation. You will be required to undergo a set of blood tests to ensure there are no markers of underlying conditions and if the results are clear, your session will be booked in.
At your hyperhidrosis treatment appointment:
- A starch-iodine test is performed, which stains areas that are sweating black. This guides our doctors and nurses in accuracy for the injections
- If we are treating your hands or feet, you may undergo twilight sedation
- A large number of superficial injections are made across the sweaty area, each to a specific depth and with a specific volume of anti-wrinkle injection
IS IT PAINFUL?
Anti-wrinkle injections for hyperhidrosis are no more painful than a regular intra-muscular vaccination injection.
WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT AFTER MY TREATMENT?
You can expect that your sweating will gradually reduce to zero over the next 4-14 days and the effect will last approximately 9-12 months.
WHAT PRECAUTIONS SHOULD I TAKE AFTER PRE AND POST TREATMENT?
Before treatment of the underarm region, please shave this area the night before your appointment.
There is no downtime required for hyperhidrosis treatment and you can resume normal activities immediately. However you should avoid the following for 24 hours:
- Strenuous exercise
- Consumption of alcohol
It is also recommended to avoid the following for two weeks:
- Extended exposure to sun or uv light
- Extended exposure to heat or freezing temperatures
Exposure to any of the above may cause temporary redness, swelling, and/or itching at the injection sites. If you have swelling at the injection site you can apply an ice pack for a brief period to help with discomfort.
We always recommend the use of sunscreen to prevent sun damage to the skin. Sunscreen with SPF 30 or above should be used daily. If you are under the sun for prolonged periods of time, sunscreen needs to be reapplied at least once every two hours.