- Smoothing out skin tone
- Treating pigmentation, discolouration and broken capillaries
WHAT IS IPL REJUVENATION?
Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) is a modern form of light based therapy used to rejuvenate the skin. A beam of many different wavelengths of light is absorbed into targeted skin cells to repair damage and breakdown accumulated spots of melanin, such as pigmentation, spotting and redness.
* IPL Special Offer *
Prepay 3 treatments for $1050 (saving $300)
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
IPL treatments can be effectively used to treat:
- Freckles, sunspots and other hyperpigmented areas
- Acne (the light energy destroys bacteria colonising your skin)
- Sun damage and/or redness
- Broken capillaries
- Uneven colouring
There is also zero downtime and in some cases (minor broken capillary treatment for example) only a single session is required.
WHAT ARE THE RISKS?
The risks from IPL are minimal. On rare occasions, if not performed by trained professionals, burns or scarring may occur. At The Clinic, we employ only medically trained staff to ensure the highest quality of care.
There are some common side effects with IPL rejuvenation procedures, such as redness or slight swelling, which will subside within 48 hours. You may also experience an initial darkening of your pigmented area, which is normal as your body breaks down the melanin that has been released during the treatment.
Due to the light therapy used, IPL is not recommended during pregnancy.
HOW MANY TREATMENTS WILL I NEED?
It depends on your treatment area and desired results. We recommend between 1 and 5 sessions to see long-term improvement for most clients.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING MY TREATMENT?
You'll speak with a Doctor or Nurse about your background and medical history at your initial consultation. The doctor will ensure that IPL treatment will fulfill your goals and may suggest an alternative or complementary cosmetic treatment.
At your IPL treatment appointment:
- A cold gel is applied to the area that will be treated
- You'll wear dark glasses to shield your eyes
- The Clinic's nurse or doctor will use a handpiece to treat the area
- The procedure takes about 20 minutes in total.
IS IT PAINFUL?
While there is a noticeable sensation, there is little pain. It could be likened to a hair elastic being snapped against your skin.
WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT AFTER MY TREATMENT?
You'll have an immediate 'healthy glow', similar to that produced by a vigorous workout! However, over the next week or so after the treatment, brown spots and pigmented areas will turn darker and/or appear more obvious as the body breaks down the melanin that has been released. The real results become evident after 1-2 weeks when you will visibly notice a reduction in pigmentation and improvement in overall skin tone.
WHAT PRECAUTIONS SHOULD I TAKE PRE AND POST TREATMENT?
- Avoid direct sun exposure for at least two weeks.
- Ice-packs or aloe vera / after-sun lotion can be applied post-treatment for soothing and to reduce redness.
- If crusting occurs, a lubricating moisturiser such as Sorbolene or Vaseline may be used to keep the area moist. DO NOT PICK the crusting, they should be allowed to fall off naturally. Contact The Clinic if there is any indication of blisters or infection.
- You can bathe as usual after treatment. Treat the area gently and do not rub with a facecloth or towel.
- Make-up can be applied post treatment if desired, preferably a mineral-based product to assist with healing.
- Do not shave / wax the area for a few days after treatment as the skin may be sensitive. Do not shave / wax at all if crusting is present.
- Avoid using your active skincare products for 7 days post IPL treatment.
- Avoid strenuous exercise for 24 hours following treatment.
We always recommend the use of sunscreen to prevent sun damage to the skin. Sunscreen with SPF 30 or above should be used daily. If you are under the sun for prolonged periods of time, sunscreen needs to be reapplied at least once every two hours.